Tabs for Jan 27th 2023
- Al Gore at Davos. A 4min video that is earth-shatterlingly on-point. And it, once again, makes me wonder how different the world would be had he been US President.
- Slack is the opposite of "organisational memory". From 2018, and more prescient than ever. Slack is often mis-characterised at something it most certainly isn't. And I don't understand why more organisations don't run their own simple IRC instance to encourage collaboration without the noise.
- Researchers find a dinosaur with a 'remarkably' in-tact face. "It took the researchers 14 days to excavate the find and bring it back in separate enormous blocks to the museum. There, senior preparation technician Mark Mitchell was tasked with separating the fossil from the stone. This was no small endeavor, taking Mitchell seven hours per day over five and a half years. That task, he wrote in an email, took him a staggering 7,000 hours." Incredible.
- Lytro Unlock. I love hacker projects like this. The goal here is to take the way over-hyped Lytro camera, and make it "slightly better."
- Beth Dunne's newsletter. Titled "Voicemail," Beth was the person who owned the "WIN" newsletter at HubSpot, which was the "weekly internal newsletter." She's a great writer and worth your attention.
- All human systems are enormous trash fires.
- Macroeconomic changes have made it impossible for me to want to pay you.
- Mozilla.org's 25th anniversary. Use firefox, for the sake of your own digital health.
- Ivory from Tapbots The Mastodon client I've used in alpha->beta for the last few months.