Tabs for Jan 13th 2023
- MKBHD does a deep dive ("closer look") at phone cameras. I am thinking about this a lot as I make a more deliberate effort to use my Fuji X-T2 (to justify an upgrade to an X-T5 this year). My iPhone 14 Pro has regularly made me look older because of how it processes light on faces, particularly in low-light shots. A weird example is our family shot in a dimly lit room in front of a Christmas tree. The kids faces are slightly blurrier than my wife & I. My wife seems ok but I look like I've had a bottle of whisky because of my facial hair. Software ate the photography world, and it can be great. But it needs to be dialed-in.
- Bernie Madoff documentary (Netflix). So good, and I suspect it's a precursor to something about SBF in future.
- I'm always envious of London's extensive tube services, but also the maps that can be drawn as a result
- Building an internet-scale meme indexer. It turns out using Apple APIs on an iPhone is a lot cheaper than hyperscaler services.
- Microsoft built an engine to simulate voice based on 3s clips. And they're holding onto the code to avoid bad actors using it.
- Apple patents next-gen pencil that can use the world for colour-drop. I love this.
- omg.lol. This is gaining big traction among my circle. So I joined because I am a sheep.
- Dracula theme. I've been using this for a bunch of apps and it's worked well. Something about dark, contrasty themes is working for my eyes. Probably related to old age setting in!
- JWST captured an amazing shot of Neptune.
- Tesla autopilot stops car on highway, causing pileup. As a Tesla owner, autopilot is brilliant, but it's not flawless.